Cajun Beef Po'boys with Red Eye Gravy
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Steak, cut 1 inch thick (1 pound)
- 6 teaspoons espresso
coffee powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large French bread rolls,
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Redeye Gravy:
tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup diced
tasso or pancetta ham
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 - 2
tablespoons hot pepper sauce (Louisiana-style)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- Rub beef Top Sirloin Steak with 2 teaspoons espresso powder and
- Preheat broiler to HIGH. Place steak on rack on aluminum
foil-lined broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4 inches from heat.
Broil 16 to 21 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning once.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat;
whisk in flour. Cook 8 to 10 minutes until caramel color, whisking
often. Remove mixture from pan; set aside.
- Melt remaining tablespoon
butter in same skillet over medium heat; add tasso, onion, Creole
Seasoning and garlic; cook 10 minutes until onion is translucent.
Dissolve remaining 4 teaspoons espresso powder in hot water; add to
skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes until browned bits attached to skillet
are dissolved and sauce is reduced almost completely.
- Whisk in butter
mixture until smooth. Add beef stock, hot sauce and Worcestershire;
bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is
reduced to 1 cup.
- Add roast beef to skillet. Cook 3 to 5 minutes
until heated through, stirring often so sauce coats beef.
- Divide beef
mixture between rolls. Top beef with tomato and lettuce. Close
Cook Time 1 HR ,4 SERVINGS, 410 CAL, 29 G PROTEIN
Recipe and photo courtesy of BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes