Alligator and Andouille Sauce Piquante
- 5 lb Alligator meat
- Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 c Olive Oil +1 tsp.
- 1 1/4 lb Smoked andouille sausage -diced
- 1 cn Tomato Sauce -10oz.
- 1/3 c Margarine
- 1/3 c Dark Roux
- 1/4 c Chicken Base
- 4 c Spanish
- 1 c Bell Pepper -chopped
- 1 c Celery -diced
- 1 ts
- 2 tb Jalapeno Pepper -diced
- 1 ts Sugar
- 2 tb
- 3 c Fresh mushrooms -sliced
- 2 qt Water
- 1/2 c
Green Onion Bottoms -chopped
- 1/2 c Parsley -chopped
- 3 c Rice
- Mixture of cornstarch and water for thickening -optional
- Rub both sides of alligator meat with Cajun seasoning and cut into 1
inch by 1 inch pieces. If possible, allow to marinate overnight.
- Brown alligator in olive oil over high heat. Remove from pot.
- Sauté andouille in same oil for 5 minutes and remove from pot. Pour tomato
sauce into pot with remaining oil.
- Stir sauce over high heat
until it is very brown, not burned. Keep stirring until a thick ball of
- Add margarine, roux, chicken base, onions, bell pepper,
celery, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers and sugar. Sauté until onions
- Return alligator and andouille to pot. Add garlic,
mushrooms and 3 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium
heat. Cook for 1 hour, adding water as needed.
- Once alligator is
tender, add green onions and parsley. Cornstarch mixture may be added to
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Notes: Chicken, squirrel,
rabbit, turtle or duck may be substituted for the alligator. Regular
smoked sausage may be substituted for the andouille.