Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 8 ounces pork sausage (bulk)
- 1 pastry pie shell
- 1/4 cup onion,
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded (4 ounces)
- 4 eggs,
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cherry
tomatoes (optional), halved
- Watercress sprigs (optional)
- Crumble sausage in medium skillet; add onion and garlic. Cook over
medium heat till sausage is browned, stirring occasionally; drain well.
- Thaw spinach, drain well. Remove remaining moisture by pressing
spinach between layers of paper toweling. Add spinach to sausage
mixture; mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly in pastry shell. Top with
- In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, cream and
salt; mix well. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture.
- Bake in a 375
degree F. oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between
center and outer edge comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and watercress, if desired.
Serving Suggestions: Serve this with croissants and
seasonal fresh fruit. This recipe can also be adapted to make small tart
quiches for appetizers.
Nutrition Calories: 509 calories Protein: 18 grams Fat: 41 gramsSodium: 754 milligramsCholesterol: 214 milligramsSaturated Fat: 17 grams Carbohydrates: 19 gramsFiber: 2 grams.
Recipe and photograph
courtesy of National Pork Board