Pot Roast Of Turkey With Barley
- 1 tb Oil
- 1/2 Turkey breast, about 3.5 lbs
- 3 c Water
- 1/3 c
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tb Minced
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 tb Fresh thyme
- 3/4 c Pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp. Salt; or as desired
- 1/2 tsp. Ground white
- 5 lg Leeks; white part only, sliced in thin rounds
- 2 tb
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or roasting pan and add the turkey,
skin side down. Cook over high heat until skin is golden, about 7
minutes. Remove the turkey and pour off the oil. Replace the pot
on the stove and add the water, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme,
barley, salt and pepper. Place the turkey, skin side up. Cover, reduce
heat to low and simmer 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter over
low heat in a covered skillet, add the leeks, cover and cook 20 minutes,
stirring occasionally. When the leeks are tender, remove from the heat
and set aside.
- Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and remove
the onion and bay leaves from the barley. Add the cream and cook another
3 minutes or until barley mixture thickens.
- When it's time to
serve dinner, carefully remove the meat from the bones and discard
bones. Cut the breast meat against the grain into thin diagonal slices.
Pour the barley onto a large platter. Arrange the turkey on the
barley and pile the leeks in the center of the platter. Serve