Roast Turkey With Stuffing
- Turkey- fresh or thawed
- Stuffing of choice
- Butter or margarine;
- Remove turkey neck and giblets from cavities of bird, rinse turkey and
wipe dry.(Cook neck and giblets for broth or to make giblet gravy.)
- Prepare stuffing of choice. Stuff loosely into neck cavity, then
skewer neck skin to back. Stuff body cavity loosely.
- Sew openings shut
by lacing piece of string on wood picks. Fasten down legs either by
tying or tucking under skin band. Twist wings akimbo under turkey.
- Place turkey, breast up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with
melted butter. If roast meat thermometer is used, insert into thick part
of thigh. Bulb should not touch bone. Roast at 325F.
- A tent of
foil placed loosely over turkey keeps it from browning too fast and may
be removed when necessary to baste turkey.
- Remove foil last half hour
for final browning.
- Turkey is done when thermometer registers
180 to 185F, or when thick part of drumstick feels tender when pressed
with thumb and forefinger or when drumstick and thigh move easily.