Chicken, Turkey and Sausage Gumbo
- 2 lb Chicken, cut into serving size
- 1/2 lb Turkey sausage
- 1/2 c
Finely chopped bell pepper
- 2 1/2 c Roux flour
- ts Ground red
- 1/2 c Finely chopped green onions
- 9 c Water
- 2 c Finely
- 1/2 c Finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 ts Salt
- 1 Bay
- 2 tb Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Remove the skin, fat and wings from the chicken and discard.
- Spray the inside of as large skillet with non fat cooking spray and
place over high heat.
- Brown the chicken, turning often.
- Remove the
skillet from the heat and move the chicken pieces to a platter.
- Add 1 cup of the water to the skillet, scraping the bottom to loosen all
of the browned bits.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and set aside.
- Place the remaining 8 cups of water in a 5 quart Dutch oven over
high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and pan juices, along
with the rest of the ingredients, except for the green onions and the
- Cook, uncovered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the onions and the parsley and cook for 5 more minutes.
the bay leaf before serving.