- 2 lb. Ground beef; or mixture of-beef/pork/veal
- 1 small Onion;
- 2 Eggs
- 1 c Soft white bread crumbs
- 1/2 c Parsley;
- 1/2 c Dry red Burgundy
- 1 tb Basil, fresh
- 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 5 slices Bacon
- 1 Bay leaf
- 8 oz. Tomato
sauce with mushrooms; heated
- Combine ground meat, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, wine, basil,
salt and pepper in a large bowl; mix.
- Crisscross 3 bacon slices
on a 12-inch square of aluminum foil; shape meatloaf mixture into a
6-inch round on top of bacon.
- Top with remaining bacon slices, halved,
and bay leaf. Lift foil with loaf into slow cooker; cover.
on high 1 hour; turn heat control to low; cook 4 hours longer, or until
meatloaf is well done.
- Remove loaf from slow cooker by lifting the foil,
tilting fat back into the slow cooker.
- Discard bacon and bay leaf.
- Serve on heated platter and spoon part of the heated tomato sauce
- Beef broth or tomato juice may be substituted for the Burgundy.
- Serve with buttered noodles and French green beans, if desired.