Hot Caribbean Habanera Hot Sauce
- 12 Habanera peppers; hand-picked
- (up to)5 Dried; smoked jalapenos
- 2 Papayas
- 3 tb Chopped onion
- 1/4 c Vinegar; or more
- 2 tb
- 1 tb Salt
- 1 tb Sugar
- 1 pinch Cinnamon (can omit;
- 1 pinch Garlic
- 1/4 c Mustard; or less
- Hydrate the dried jalapenos. Retain approx. 1/4 cup of the liquid.
- Chop all solids. Place into blender with liquid ingredients.
"Liquefy" for a good, long time until all chucks are liquefied.
- Once mixture is very smooth, cook over very low heat for 30-60 minutes.
- During this time, taste (as much as you are able to), and
add additional amounts of desired ingredients until you achieve the
taste you desire.
- Goal is to come up with a sauce that is sweet
at first taste, then leaves a healthy amount of pain as the taste fades
- Remove from heat, cool 30-60 minutes.
- Strain mixture to
extract liquid, leave behind seeds, pulp, etc. This will take a while,
so do this when you are not in a hurry.
- Store extracted liquid
in an air-tight container, or in a sealed bottle.
- Time will increase
heat & taste.
Hot Sauce Recipes