This turkey is called drunken because of the addition of the Grand
Mariner and tequila. Very flavorful and delicious!
- 12 lb. Turkey
- 2 lb. Mixed dried fruit
- 1 c Golden raisins
Granny Smith apples, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 4 Oranges, juice from
- 1 can (92.5 oz.) chiles chipotles
- 3 c Tequila
- 3 c Grand Marnier
- 2 Sticks unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325~F.
- Rinse turkey and pat dry inside and out.
- Combine dried fruit, raisins, and apples in a
- Put orange juice and chiles (with sauce that
clings to them) into a blender or food processor and process for 1
minute. Add 1 cup each of tequila and Grand Marnier, then pour the
mixture over the fruit and let rest 15 minutes. Drain the fruit,
reserving the liquid.
- Cut half the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and
combine with the fruit.
- Stuff cavity of the turkey with most of
- Place the turkey in a roasting bag, arrange remaining fruit
on top of the bird and pour reserved orange juice-liquor mix over it.
- Combine remaining tequila and Grand Marnier.
- Have ready a
basting syringe fitted with a metal injection nozzle and inject the
mixture all over the turkey.
- Melt remaining butter and carefully
pour over the turkey in the roasting bag. Seal bag and cut 1/4-inch slit
on the top to let steam escape.
- Place in a roasting pan and
roast for 2 1/2 hours.
- Every 30 minutes open bag (being careful to
shield your face from steam) and inject more liquor, eventually using it
- When ready to serve, slit open bag, arrange turkey on a
platter, and scoop out the fruit stuffing.
- Place all the fruit in a
- Strain the juices that have accumulated in the
bag, skim off any fat, and serve in a gravy boat.
Serves 8 to 10.