This recipe for Swedish style meatballs, includes ground beef or veal,
soft bread crumbs, onion, eggs, butter and more.
- 2 c Soft bread crumbs
- 2/3 c Milk
- 1/2 c Minced onion
- 4 T
- 1 1/2 lb. Ground beef or veal
- 3 each Eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Pepper
- 1 t Nutmeg
- 1 t Paprika
- 1 T
Concentrated meat extract
- 3 T Flour
- 1 c Water
- 1 c Sour cream
- 2 T Minced parsley
- Soak bread crumbs in milk until softened.
- Add onion to 1 Tbsp.
butter in small saucepan and cook slowly 3 minutes.
- Mix softened bread,
cooked onion and meat.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and paprika.
thoroughly until very smooth and light
- Shape meat into small balls,
dusting the hands with flour while shaping the balls.
remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in large frying pan.
- Add meat balls and fry
until golden brown all over.
- Remove from pan and add meat extract and 3
Tbsp. flour. Stir until well blended.
- Add water, and a few grains of
- Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat
very low and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, a rounded tablespoon at
a time, stirring until thoroughly blended after each addition of sour
- Return meat balls to gravy, cover pan and simmer very
gently 10 minutes.
- Serve in deep casserole.
- Sprinkle with minced
Recipe Yields: 70 to 80 meat balls.