Jack O Lantern Cookies
- 2/3 c Margarine
- 3/4 c Granulated sugar
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 4 t. Milk
- 2 c All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t. Baking powder
- 1/4 t. Salt
- Thoroughly cream margarine. Add sugar and blend until light. Add vanilla. Add egg; beat until fluffy. Stir in milk.
- In another bowl put
flour, baking powder and salt; blend with a whisk or a spoon until
thoroughly mixed. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture;
blend well. Scoop dough out onto plastic wrap, cover with wrap and press down to make a thick, flat round. Chill in
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut batch of dough in half; keep one half in refrigerator while
working with the other half.
- On a well floured surface, using a
floured rolling pin, roll dough to between 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch. Use
a 2-inch biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter to make cookies.
on cookie sheet greased with butter-flavored shortening, if possible
(otherwise, regular flavor shortening). Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or
until lightly browned around the edges. Cool on wire rack.
- Repeat with
remaining dough. Store in airtight container until you are ready to
spread them with frosting and decorate.
- Spread frosting on cookies;
then make Jack-o-lantern faces using colorful small candies or icing gel in a
Yield: about 2 dozen