Rinderrouladen (Beef Rolls)
- 4 Sandwich Or Roll Steaks; about 6 oz. each
- 2 t Mustard;
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/4 t Pepper
- 2 Pickles; cut into long
- 2 oz. Salt Pork OR 2 Bacon cut into long thin strips
- 1 Onion; Large, Chopped
- 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 c Beef Broth;
- 4 Peppercorns
- 1/2 Bay Leaf
- 1 T Cornstarch
- Lay steaks on a flat surface.
- Spread each with mustard; sprinkle with
salt and pepper.
- Divide pickles, salt pork (or bacon), and onion among
the steaks equally.
- Roll up steaks jelly-roll fashion; secure
with beef-roll clamps, toothpicks, or thread.
- Heat oil in a heavy
saucepan, add the steak roll, and brown well on all sides, about 15
- Pour in hot beef broth, peppercorns, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove beef rolls, discard
clamps, and arrange on a preheated platter.
- Blend cornstarch
with a small amount of cold water, stir into gravy and bring to a boil.
- Boil until gravy is thick and bubbly.
- Correct seasonings and