Zwiebelkuchen (Onion Pie)
- 1 package Yeast; Active Dry
- 1 t Sugar1
- 1/2 t Salt
- 3 c
- 1 T Shortening
- 1 c Water; 120 to 130 Degrees F.
- 6 Bacon; Slices, Cut Up
- 2 Onions; Medium, Sliced
- 1/4 t Cumin
- 1/2 t Salt Pepper to taste
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 c Sour Cream
- Mix yeast, sugar, 1 t salt, and 1/2 cup flour.
- Blend in shortening and
warm water. Beat for 2 minutes. Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place
dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let dough rise in a warm
place 1/2 hour.
- Pat dough into a lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan or
onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Press up edges to make a slight
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from grease and drain on
absorbent paper. Add onions to bacon grease; cook slowly until tender
but not brown.
- Sprinkle onion, bacon, cumin, 1/2 t salt and pepper over
- Bake at 400 Degrees F. for 20 minutes.
- Blend egg yolk and
sour cream. Pour over onions.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until
golden brown and sour cream is set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.