Savory Veal Stew
- 1 1/4 pounds (600 g) boneless veal shoulder, trimmed of all fat and
cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3 tablespoons (27 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry red wine or water
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 4 scallions, white part and 1 inch (2.5 ml) green, chopped
- 1/3 cup (40 g) thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup (33 g) shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup (56 g) chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (265 g) no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2-ounce (415 g) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml)
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 large bay leaf, broken in half
- Cooked rice
- Pound each piece of veal to 1/4-inch (0.6 cm) thickness.
- In a shallow
dish, combine flour, thyme, rosemary, salt (if using), and pepper. Use
to dredge pounded veal pieces.
- Lightly coat a heavy 4-quart (3.8 l) pot with cooking spray. Add olive
oil and place over medium heat.
- Working in batches, brown the veal
pieces, turning once. Remove and set aside.
- When all veal is browned, add the wine to the pot, stirring and
scraping the bottom to release any browned bits.
- Add remaining
ingredients and stir in the browned veal.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about
45 to 55 minutes, until veal is fork-tender.
- If stew seems too dry,
add up to 1/2 cup (120 ml) additional water as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve hot over cooked rice. Pass the Tabasco sauce bottle to allow people to add to
Recipe serves 4.
Per serving (veal only): 270 calories (35% calories from fat), 29 g
protein, 10 g total fat (3.0 g saturated fat), 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g
dietary fiber, 113 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium Diabetic exchanges: 3 1/2 lean protein (meat), 1 carbohydrate (1/2
bread/starch, 1 vegetable).