Chocolate Mint Layer Cake
- 1 c Mint-Chocolate Chips; Nestles
- 1 1/4 c ;water, divided
- 2 1/4 c Flour; Unbleached
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 c Brown Sugar; Firmly Packed
- 1/2 c Butter, Softened
- 3 Eggs; Large
Chocolate Mint Frosting:
- 1/2 c Mint-Chocolate Chips; Nestles
- 1/4 c Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 3 c Confectioners' Sugar
- 6 tb Milk
- Chocolate Leaves
- Chocolate Curls
- Chocolate Gratings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
a small saucepan, combine mint-chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of water.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and
mixture is smooth. Cool 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine
flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a
large bowl, combine brown sugar and butter; beat until creamy. Add eggs,
1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in chocolate
mixture. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with remaining 1
cup of water.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cakes
test done. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Fill and frost with
Chocolate Mint Frosting. Garnish as desired.
- Combine over hot (not boiling) water,
the mint-chocolate chips and butter. Stir until chips are melted and
mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Transfer to a large
bowl. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar alternately
with milk; beat until smooth. (if necessary add more milk until desired
consistency is reached.)
chocolate curls and grated chocolate on top of the cake.
- Form a
ring of grated chocolate pieces around the outside edge and use the
curls in the center.
- To make chocolate leaves, select several
small leaves, wash and dry them and paint one side of them with melted
- Chill until firm and peel the leaf off the chilled
chocolate. Use as garnish.