Grilled Whole Chicken With Starfruit Cranberry Sauce
- 1 whole roasting chicken, about 4 pounds
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/4 cup
- 1.4 cup cilantro
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 TBLS ground cumin
- 1 TBLS
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 orange,
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
Starfruit Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ripe starfruit, diced
package cranberries (12 ounces), rinsed
- 1 TBLS grated fresh ginger
- In food processor or blender, place garlic cloves, red onion, jalapeno
pepper, parsley, cilantro, salt, cumin, oregano, orange juice and vegetable
oil. Puree thoroughly. Set marinade aside.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Gently
insert fingers under skin, loosening as much as possible without puncturing
over breast, thighs and drumsticks.
- Place chicken in plastic oven roasting
bag. Rub marinade into meat beneath the loosened skin and into body and neck
- Place quartered orange and quartered onion pieces inside body
cavity. Pour any remaining marinade over chicken and close bag tightly.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry.
- Grill chicken over charcoal (or gas - medium heat) medium-hot coals until
skin is deep golden brown and meat is cooked through, about 1 hour and 40
minutes (or about 25 minutes per pound.)
- Internal temperature should reach
180º when done, measured in the deepest part of the thigh, not touching the
bone. (Or, roast chicken 90 minutes at 375º.)
- While chicken cooks,
prepare Starfruit Cranberry Sauce by combining orange juice and sugar in
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring. Reduce heat
to simmer; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in starfruit, cranberries and ginger.
Simmer, stirring, until berries pop, about 8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Nutritional Analysis, Per Serving:
980 calories; 44 g fat; 10 g saturated
fat; 85 g carbohydrate
Recipe and photo courtesy of National Chicken Council. Used with permission.