Creole Chicken and Okra
- 4 chicken leg quarters, cut
into 4 thighs and 4 drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 pound okra, sliced
- 2 cups coarsely-chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup warm chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Remove and discard chicken skin.
- In nonstick Dutch oven, place
oil and heat over medium temperature.
- Add chicken and cook,
turning, about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove chicken to
- To Dutch oven, add onion, green pepper, celery and
garlic; stir and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add okra and cook,
stirring, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes, parsley, paprika, bay
leaf and salt.
- Return chicken to Dutch oven and spoon vegetable mixture
- In small bowl, mix together chicken broth, wine and
hot pepper sauce; pour over all.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and
cook about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with
- Serve with rice, if desired.