Whitney Pot Roast
- 4 lb. Moose steaks; 1/2 lb each
- 4 lg Onions; sliced
- 1/2 c Wine vinegar
- 1 can Tomato paste; small , 5 1/2-fluid
oz., 156 ml
- Water, equal amount to-the tomato paste
- Salt, pepper & paprika
- 1/2 c Butter; or oil
- 2 Garlic cloves; minced
- 1 tb Pickling spices; tied in a bag
- 3 Bay leaves
- Place steaks in cold water overnight.
- The next day, pat dry and
season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a skillet, quickly
brown steaks with butter or oil. Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic until transparent and add remaining
- Place meat in heavy roast pan and pour onion
mixture over it. Cover and cook in a 350F oven for 2 hours or until meat
- Remove spice bag and bay leaves. Thicken liquid with
flour and water. Serve.
Recipe source: The Rural and Native
Heritage Cookbook_by Lovesick Lake Native Women's Association