Beignes Aux Dattes De Ma Mere
(Mother's Date Doughnuts)
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c Granulated sugar
- 1 tb Melted butter
- 2 1/2 c All-purpose flour
- 2 1/2
tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 1 c Dates, chopped
- 1 c Milk
tsp. Lemon extract
- Vegetable oil or shortening for deep-frying
- In a bowl, combine beaten eggs, sugar and melted butter; beat well.
In another bowl, combine flour with baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
Fold in dates.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately
with milk and lemon extract. Heat oil in deep-fat fryer to 375 degree F.
- Drop batter by tablespoonful's, 2 or 3 at a time, into hot oil
and fry until crisp and brown, about 3 minutes frying time, turning
- Drain on paper towels.
Recipe yields: 3 to 4 dozen
Recipe source: A Taste of Quebec by Julian Armstrong