Queen Elizabeth Cake 2
- 1 c Boiling water
- 1 c Dates; chopped
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 c Butter
- 1 c Sugar, granulated
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 c Flour, all purpose
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 c Brown sugar; packed
- 1/4 c Light cream
- 3/4 c Coconut; shredded; half nuts-if desired
- Pour water over dates and soda; let stand until lukewarm.
bowl, cream butter with sugar; beat in egg and vanilla.
- Mix together
flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with
- Spread in a greased and floured 9 inch square cake
pan. Bake in 350F oven for 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- In a small heavy
saucepan, combine butter, packed brown sugar, light cream and coconut
(half nuts if desired).
- Bring to a boil, stirring; boil gently
for 1 minute.
- Spread over warm baked cake; broil until bubbly
and lightly browned, watching carefully.
Recipe source: The
Forties chapter, A Century of Canadian Home Cooking