Quebec Poached Salmon
- 4 Salmon steaks
- 1 tb Oil; salad
- 1 Lemon juice; from 1 lemon
- Lemon peel; from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tb Salt
- 1 Onion; small-quartered
- 4 Parsley sprigs
- 6 Peppercorns-crushed with back of spoon
Sauce Verte (green
- 1/2 c Green onion tops or chives
- 1/2 c Green pepper
- 1/4 c Parsley
- 1/2 c Spinach- uncooked
- 2 tb Lemon juice
- 1 c Mayonnaise
- Spread the oil in a fry pan or baking dish. Place the salmon steaks next
to one another, but not overlapping.
- Add the lemon juice and
peel, peppercorns, salt, onion and just enough hot water to cover the
- Cover and poach on top of the stove (if using fry pan)
over low heat, for 10-12 minutes or in 325F oven (in baking dish) for
the same length of time or until the salmon flakes.
- Allow the
fish to cool in the liquid. Drain well and remove the skin.
- Arrange on
platter, then cover completely with the following sauce.
- Serve with a
- Chop the
vegetables coarsely and put in blender with lemon juice.
- Cover and blend
until it turns into a sort of mush with small bits of this and that in
- Add the mayonnaise and blend. (If you don't have a blender,
chop the ingredients very finely and blend them into the mayonnaise with
the lemon juice, crushing them as much as possible to give color to the
From the author, "Use salmon steaks for this colourful
and tasty dish. It is then easy to make it for 2 or 10."
source: The Canadiana Cookbook by Mme. Jehane Benoit