Cipate au Salmon (Layered Salmon Pie)
- 1/4 lb. Salt pork
- 1 lb. Salmon steak; or fillets, skinned & cut into
- 2 tb Flour; all purpose
- 1/4 c Celery; chopped
- 1 tb
Onion; finely chopped
- 1 Potato; medium, peeled and sliced
- Salt and
ground white pepper
- Pastry for double crust 9" pie
- Cut salt pork into thick strips and spread evenly in the bottom of a 2
- Dredge salmon lightly with flour. Arrange half the
fish on the salt pork.
- Sprinkle with half of the celery, onion and
potato slices; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out
half of the pastry, slightly thicker than normal, to fit the size of the
- Cover potato layer with the pastry, cutting two large vents.
- Pour in water through the vents until level with the pastry.
- Layer with the remaining fish, celery, onion and potato to taste.
Cover with top pastry crust and again cut out two vents.
in vents until level with pastry.
- Bake pie in a preheated 350F
oven for 1 1/2 hours or till crust is golden-brown.
"This traditional salmon dish comes from Auberge La
Msrtre, an inn on the north coast near St. Anne des Monts. Proprietors
Roger Fournier and Marie France Crevier specialize in fish and game
Recipe source: A Taste of Quebec by Julian Armstrong