New Orleans Chicken Muffulettas
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless
- 2 TBLS vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 pieces French sourdough bread, about 6 inches each, sliced lengthwise
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups Olive Spread (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 1/2 cups bottled pickled vegetables, drained
- 1/4 cup pitted Calamata olives, drained
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives, drained
- 1 jar (1/2 cup) artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 TBLS capers
- 2 TBLS parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- In food processor, place Olive Spread ingredients: roasted red peppers,
pickled vegetables, Calamata olives, green olives, artichoke hearts, capers,
parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, black pepper and olive oil.
- Chop by pulsing until consistency of cole slaw.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
Prepare gas or
charcoal grill, or preheat broiler.
- Place chicken breast halves between two pieces of wax paper; pound
gently to ¼ inch thickness.
- Brush each side of chicken with vegetable oil; season with salt and
- Grill or broil for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked throughout.
- Assemble sandwich by opening bread and drizzling each half with olive
- Spread ½ cup Olive Spread on bottom of each sandwich; top with grilled
chicken and one slice of Swiss and one slice provolone cheese.
Nutritional Information, Per Serving:
870 calories; 42 g fat; 14 g
saturated fat; 68 g carbohydrate
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Chicken Council and the Culinary
Institute of New Orleans, Louisiana. Used with permission.