This quiche is made Cajun style and not your ordinary quiche! Made with eggs,
rice, tomatoes, celery, seasonings and more, this is one recipe you will want to
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes,
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) chopped chicken livers
- 6 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup skim or low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In medium saucepan, stir together
rice and tomatoes. Bring to boiling.
- Cover and cook over low heat until
rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In skillet over medium heat, cook
chicken livers in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender but not brown, 1 to 2
minutes. Beat 1 egg. Stir in cooked rice and livers.
- Press mixture onto bottom and up
sides of greased 9 inch pie plate, forming thick edge around rim. In same
skillet cook celery, green pepper, and onion in remaining butter until
tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle into rice crust.
- Beat together remaining eggs, milk,
and seasonings. Pour over vegetables.
- Bake in preheated 375ºF oven until
knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Posted by LuckyTrim at our old message board.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes