Cajun Crawfish Cabbage Rolls
Cabbage rolls that are prepared Cajun style
- 1 large head cabbage or 2 medium heads
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup washed rice
- 1/4 can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 lb chopped crawfish
- garlic powder
- 6 lemons
- Remove core from cabbage.
- Wilt cabbage in a large pot of boiling water. (Do not over scald).. remove
from water and set aside.
- Mix crawfish, rice, tomato paste, melted
butter, and bread crumbs. Add seasoning and mix well.
- Remove spines
from cabbage leaf. Put leaf on board, spine down, and put filling in leaf. Do
not over pack.
- Roll tightly and arrange rolls in rows in pot.
half cup water mixed with 2 tablespoons tomato paste seasoned well over stacked
- Place a heavy flat dish on tops of rolls to keep together. Cook
over medium heat 30 to 40 minutes.
- Pour lemon juice over rolls 10 minutes
Recipe courtesy of Catherine McCoy Edwards and "The Best
of South Louisiana Cooking".