Cajun Butter Beans and Ham Hocks
These Cajun style butter beans with diced ham hock is wonderful served by
itself, or over rice. Cornbread on the side, and you have a meal!
- 1 pounds Fresh butter beans
- ½ pounds Salt meat; parboiled and
diced (Such as ham hocks)
- 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 1 large Onion; chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic; chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make a roux with oil and flour. Add meat and onions.
- Sauté until onions are tender and meat is lightly browned.
Stir constantly so it does not burn!
- Add butter beans, garlic and sugar and cook for 15 minutes,
continuing to stir!
- Lower heat and add water to beans.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the beans are done.
- If the beans are not thick enough for you, you can mash some against
the side of the pan , and stir until thicker.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes
Photo credit: jeffreyw.