Sicilian Vegetable Stew
- 2 lb medium-size eggplants
- 1/2 lb onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 oz olives
- 1/3 cup vinegar of any kind
- 1 teaspoon Splenda
- Wash the eggplants, cut them into small pieces, put them into a large
strainer and sprinkle with salt. Set aside to drain for at least 1 hour.
Meanwhile, combine the onions with one-third of the olive oil in a wide,
shallow pan. Cook until golden. Add the tomatoes, capers, celery and
olives. Mix well and cook for 15 minutes, set aside.
- Rinse the
eggplant and dry completely. Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over
high heat. When the oil reaches its maximum temperature, add the
eggplant pieces and fry until well browned. Drain. Stir the eggplant
into the tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle on the vinegar and Splenda and
return to low heat. Cook until the vinegar completely evaporates. Serve
either warm or cold.
Serves 4. Approx 8.5 grams carbs per
Atkins Diet Recipes