A recipe for Anchoyade which is an appetizer. This recipe calls for
anchovy fillets, garlic, tomato paste and more. Serve this over bread
that is toasted on one side.
- 4 oz Flat anchovy fillets
- 2 md Cloves garlic, finely chopped
ts Tomato paste
- 1 tb To 1 1/2 tb olive oil
- 2 ts Lemon juice (or
red wine vinegar)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 To 10 slices
French bread,1/2-inch thick, cut into strips
- 1 ts Finely chopped
- Soak anchovies 10 minutes in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place in a large mortar or heavy bowl with the garlic and tomato
- Pound with a pestle, wooden masher or spoon into a very smooth
puree, or use food processor with steel blade.
- Dribble the oil
in, a few drops at a time, stirring constantly until thick and smooth,
like mayonnaise. Stir in lemon juice and a few grounds of black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 500 F. Brown bread lightly on one side.
bread is warm, spread un toasted side with anchovy mixture, pressing it
into bread with back of fork or spoon.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
with parsley and serve at once.
Note: For a first course, use
whole slices of French bread spread with anchovy mixture.
recipe is from our appetizer recipes collection.