Louisiana Alligator Creole Stew
- 4 lbs. Louisiana Alligator - 1 inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 cups onions, medium dice
- 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers, medium dice
- 1 cup celery, medium dice
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 48 oz. tomatoes, canned, diced
- 3 cups potatoes, medium dice
- 2 Tbsp. thyme, dried
- 2 Tbsp. oregano, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 2 tsp. original TABASCO® brand pepper sauce1 tsp. Worcestershire
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 lb. Butter
- 2 cups green onions, chopped
- 2 French baguette, sliced and toasted
- Heat canola oil in 8-qt. stockpot over medium-high heat. Add garlic,
onions, green peppers and celery. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until onions are
translucent and vegetables are tender.
- Add white wine, chicken stock, canned tomatoes, potatoes, thyme,
oregano, bay leaves, cayenne, TABASCO® and Worcestershire. Season to taste
with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Louisiana Alligator to stew. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add butter and green onions to stew and stir until melted. Remove bay
- Serve with sliced toasted French bread.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Louisiana Seafood and Marketing Board,
used with permission.