- 12 lb. Turkey
- 2 lb. Mixed dried fruit
- 1 c Golden raisins
Granny Smith apples
- 4 Oranges, juice from
- 1 can (9.25 oz.)
- 3 c Tequila
- 3 c Grand Marnier
- 2 Sticks
unsalted butter-cut into 1-inch wedges
- Preheat oven to 325~F.Rinse turkey and pat dry inside and out.
- Combine dried fruit, raisins, and apples in a
- Put orange juice and chiles (with sauce that clings to
them) into a blender or food processor and process for 1 minute. Add 1
cup each of tequila and Grand Marnier, then pour the mixture over the
fruit and let rest 15 minutes. Drain the fruit, reserving the liquid.
- Cut half the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and combine with the
fruit. Stuff cavity of the turkey with most of the fruit.
- Place the
turkey in a roasting bag, arrange remaining fruit on top of the bird and
pour reserved orange juice-liquor mix over it. Combine remaining
tequila and Grand Marnier. Have ready a basting syringe fitted with a
metal injection nozzle and inject the mixture all over the turkey.
- Melt remaining butter and carefully pour over the turkey in the
roasting bag. Seal bag and cut 1/4-inch slit on the top to let steam
escape. Place in a roasting pan and roast for 2 1/2 hours.
30 minutes open bag (being careful to shield your face from steam) and
inject more liquor, eventually using it up.
- When ready to serve,
slit open bag, arrange turkey on a platter, and scoop out the fruit
- Place all the fruit in a serving bowl. Strain the
juices that have accumulated in the bag, skim off any fat, and serve in
a gravy boat.
Serves 8 to 10