Turkey Breast Pie
- 2 Matzot; regular*
- 1 1/2 c Chicken broth; cold
- 1 1/2 lb Ground
turkey breast OR: 1 1/2 lb Turkey breast; cubed*
- 1/2 c Olive oil
- 1 ts -salt
- 1/4 ts -freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ds Nutmeg
- 1 Bay
- 1 ts Sage; dried -OR:2 -large fresh sage leaves
- 1 Garlic
- 1/2 ts Rosemary; dried, wrapped in cheesecloth
- 1/4 c
- 2 Eggs; slightly beaten
- Matza meal*
- 3 Egg yolks
- Break Matzot directly into a shallow bowl and pour broth over
- In a large saucepan, place meat and oil and season with
salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add bay leaf, sage, garlic and rosemary and
sauté, stirring frequently until meat is dark brown on all sides. (If
dried sage is used, enclose it in the cheesecloth with the rosemary. If
you using ground turkey, add garlic and bay leaf to this cheesecloth
- Transfer meat to a dish to cool. Remove and discard bay leaf,
sage, garlic and rosemary.
- Add nuts to saucepan with oil and
sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain excess liquid from the matzot, but do
not squeeze dry. Add soaked Matzot to the saucepan and turn heat off.
using cubed turkey breast, grind it now and return to the saucepan. Add
beaten eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Oil a 9 inch cake pan and
sprinkle with matza meal. Pour meat mixture into it; level it with a
- With a small ladle, make three depressions near the centre and
place 1 egg yolk in each depression.
- Bake in 375F oven for 1/2
*Matzots and mastza meal may be bought in Jewish grocery stores and many
supermarkets *The recipe calls for cubes of turkey breast to be ground;
however I think a substitution of pre ground turkey would be acceptable.