Roast Turkey With Corn Bread-Chorizo Stuffing
- 1 Turkey (12 lb)
- 1/2 c Unsalted butter; softened
- 4 Onions; coarsely chopped
- 5 Celery
stalks- coarsely chopped
- 1 lb
Chorizo (Spanish sausage)- broken up
- 6 c Day-old corn bread, crumbled
- 3 c Day-old white bread, cubed
- 2 c Frozen corn kernels; thawed
tb Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tb Chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and
pepper; to taste
- 3 c Chicken stock; as needed
- 1 c White or rose wine
- Wash turkey under hot water. Pat exterior and cavities completely dry
with paper towels. Smear turkey with 4 Tbsp. butter.
onions and celery in the remaining butter over medium heat until
translucent. Remove with slotted spoon to a very large bowl. Sauté the
chorizo in the same pan until lightly brown. Remove to same bowl and add
remaining stuffing ingredients. Toss to combine completely. (If mixture
seems dry, add chicken stock or apple juice.)
- Salt and pepper
the turkey's cavity and loosely stuff the cavity and the neck with the
bread-chorizo mixture, leaving some room for expansion during cooking.
(Extra stuffing can be refrigerated in a covered casserole and baked @
375 degrees for 40 minutes.)Sew up and truss the turkey. Return
to rack in roasting pan and turn turkey on its left side.
- Add 1 cup
stock and wine gravy to pan. Place in preheated 400 degree oven for 20
minutes. Turn turkey onto its right side and continue roasting
another 20 minutes. Lower oven to 325 degrees.
- Turn turkey
breast-side-down and roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Baste every 15
minutes or so, adding stock as needed. Turn turkey
breast-side-up and continue basting every 15-20 minutes.
- (For a 12 lb
turkey, cooking time will be from 15 to 20 minutes per pound; the
internal temperature should reach 180 degrees. The juices in the thigh
should run clear when pierced with a fork.)
- Remove to a heated platter
to rest. Skim off as much fat as possible from the pan
- Transfer pan drippings, including brown bits, to a sauté pan.
Reduce to a gravy over high heat.
- Carve turkey.
- Serve gravy and dressing on the side.