Turkey With Oyster-Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 Turkey (8 lb.)
- 1 1/2 c Water
- 1 c Butter or
- 8 c Crumbled cornbread/muffins
Scallions; washed & minced-(include tops)
- 10 med Mushrooms; wiped and
- 1 c Coarsely chopped pecans
- 18 Oysters; drained and chopped-(reserve
- Turkey giblets- cooked and chopped
- 1 Egg1 Garlic clove- peeled and
- 2 tb Minced parsley
- 1/2 ts
- 1/4 ts Fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/2 ts Salt
- 5 tb
- 5 tb Giblet-cooking water
- 1/4 c Melted butter or
- Wipe turkey well with a damp cloth, inside and out. Remove any
pinfeathers, and singe off hairs.
- Simmer the giblets in 1 1/2 c water
for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from cooking water, and chop. Save the
- Mix the dressing ingredients together thoroughly, and stuff both
neck and body cavities of the bird. Wrap remaining stuffing in aluminum
- Skewer the turkey openings shut, truss, and place the turkey
breast down on a poultry rack in a large roasting pan.
- Place the
foil-wrapped stuffing in the bottom of the pan.
- Rub the bird generously
with about 1/4 cup of the softened butter. Roast the turkey, uncovered,
in a moderately slow oven, 325 degrees, basting every 20 minutes with a
mixture of the oyster liquid, giblet-cooking water, and remaining
- After 1 1/2 hours or roasting, turn the turkey breast
- Allow about 30 minutes per pound for roasting the turkey.
turkey is done when the leg joint moves easily.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.