Giblet Gravy With Wine
- 3 c Water
- 1 1/2 c Dry white wine
- 1 lg Onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 sm Carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 sm Celery stalk (with leaves),
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- Giblets and neck from
turkey, coarsely chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Pan juices
from roast turkey
- 1/2 c Water
- 1/2 c Madeira
- 1 tb To 2 Tb flour
- Combine first 7 ingredients with salt and pepper to taste in medium
saucepan. Partially cover and bring to simmer. Stock should reduce to 1
1/2 cups and have intense flavor.
- When roasted turkey has been
transferred to platter, degrease juices in roasting pan. Place pan on
high heat. Pour in reduced stock through strainer into pan juices. Bring
to boil and cook about 2 minutes, stirring and scraping up any browned
bits that cling to pan.
- Beat together remaining water, Madeira
and flour until smooth. Stir into boiling pan juices and continue
cooking until gravy is thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste; if sauce seems
weak, continue reduction. Add seasoning.
- To serve: Pour into
Can be prepared 1 day ahead through step one.
Any leftover gravy can be refrigerated up to 5 days, or frozen up to 3
months in an airtight container