Jerry's Chocolate Ice Cream
The combination of cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate creates an ice
cream with a more complex texture. Jerry refers to this as "mouth feel".
- 2 oz. Unsweetened chocolate
- 1 c Sugar
- 1/3 c Unsweetened cocoa
- 1 c Heavy or whipping cream
- 1 1/2 c Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 large Eggs
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot,
not boiling water.
- Gradually whisk in the cocoa and heat, stirring
constantly, until smooth. ( the chocolate may "seize" or clump together.
Don't worry, the milk will dissolve it).
- Whisk in the milk, a little at
a time, and heat until completely blended. remove from the heat and let
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy,
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue
whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Pour in the
cream and vanilla and whisk to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into
the cream mixture and blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold,
about 1-3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
- Transfer the mixture to
an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
VARIATION: Chocolate Chocolate chip: Add 3/4 cup semisweet
chocolate chips after the ice cream stiffens, about 2 minutes before it
is done, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready. The rick fully textured ice cream is a chocoholic's delight. Some of Ben
and Jerry's friends take it a step further and serve it with hot fudge
Ice Cream Recipes