Neujahrspretzel (New Year's Pretzels)
These Pretzels are great for New Year's! Baked and then topped with
icing and chopped almonds.
- 2 c Milk
- 2 packs Yeast; Active, Dry
- 1/2 c Sugar2 Eggs;
- Water1/4 c Almonds; Chopped
- 1/2 c Butter Or Margarine
- 2 t Salt
- 7 c Flour; Unbleached
- 1 c Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 t
- Heat milk and butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F.)
yeast, salt, sugar, and 1 cup flour. Slowly beat into warm milk. Beat
for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and 1 cup of flour. Beat for an additional 2
- Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and
elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Let
rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough
down and let rise again until doubled. (1 hour more).
dough in half.
- Shape pretzel by rolling dough into a rope about 30
inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cross the ends leaving a large
loop in the center.
- Flip loop back onto crossed ends to form a pretzel.
Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place pretzels on greased baking
sheets. Let rise 15 minutes more.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30
minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla to form a thin icing.
icing on pretzels and sprinkle with chopped almonds.