Roast Goose With Stuffing
This goose is stuffed with apples, figs, cornbread and more, then
roasted. The gravy is also served alongside the goose.
- 1 Goose; (9-12 lb Canadian wild
- 1 Tart apple; peeled and diced
- 10 Dried figs; cut in 1/4's
- 2 1/2 c Crumbled corn bread
- Salt to
- Ground pepper to taste
- 3 tb Chopped parsley
- 2 ts Chopped
- 1 1/2 c Reserved goose broth
- 1-2 T flour
- Remove the neck and gizzard and place in a saucepan with about 1 qt. of
water and let simmer lightly for several hours while partially covered.
- Reduce to about 2 cups and season with salt.
- Mix remaining
ingredients, except for gravy, together and adjust seasoning by tasting.
- Stuff, lace, and truss the bird and roast in a 325' oven, breast down,
for 1 1/2 hours. Draw off fat as it accumulates.
- Turn and roast
another 1 1/2 hours (or longer for a larger bird) until juices run clear
when pricked where the thigh attaches to the body.
- Remove when
done and let rest on a heated serving platter while you prepare the
To make the gravy:
- Pour off all but 2 Tb of the fat and sprinkle with the flour.
- Set the roasting pan over low heat and stir for one minute while
scraping up all the brown bits.
- Add the broth and stir until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve in a boat with goose.