Bamberger Krautbraten (Bramberger Meat & Cabbage Casserole)
- 1 lb. Cabbage; Head, Small
1 T Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 lb. Pork; Lean, Cubed
1 lb. Ground Beef;
- 1 t Caraway Seeds
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Pepper
White Wine; Dry
- 1 t Vegetable Oil
3 Bacon; Strips, Thick Sliced
- Remove outer, wilted cabbage leaves and core.
- Place cabbage in a large
pot of boiling water and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove and drain.
Gently pull off 12 leaves and set aside.
- Finely chop the rest of the
- Heat 1 T vegetable oil; add onions, pork, and ground
beef. Cook until lightly browned.
- Drain off excess fat. Add the chopped
cabbage, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper. Pour in the white wine.
and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Grease an
ovenproof dish with 1 t of vegetable oil; line the dish with half the
- Spoon in the meat mixture, cover with the rest of the
- Cut bacon strips in half and arrange on top.
- Place in preheated 350 degree F. oven; bake for approximately 45