Falscher Hase (False Hare (German Meatloaf)
- 1/2 lb. Ground Beef; Lean
- 1/2 lb. Ground Pork; Lean
- 1 Onion;
- 3 T Bread Crumbs
- 3 T Water; Cold
- 2 Eggs;
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 t Paprika
- 1 t Mustard; Prepared
- 2 T
- 3 Hard Cooked Eggs; Peeled
- 4 Bacon; Strips
- 4 T Vegetable Oil
- 1 c Beef Broth
- 1/4 c Water; Hot
- 1 t Cornstarch
- 1/4 c Water
- 1/2 c Sour Cream
- Thoroughly mix ground meats, onion, bread crumbs, 3 T cold water, and
eggs. Flavor with salt, paprika, mustard, and parsley. Blend ingredients
- Flatten out meat mixture in the shape of a square, (8 X
8-inches). Arrange whole hard-boiled eggs in a row along the
middle of the meat. Fold sides of meat patty over the eggs. Shape meat
carefully into a loaf resembling a flat bread loaf.
- Occasionally rinse
hands in cold water to prevent sticking.
- Cube 2 strips bacon;
cook in a Dutch oven about 2 minutes. Carefully add the vegetable oil;
- Place meatloaf in the Dutch oven and cook until browned on all
sides. Cut remaining bacon strips in half and arrange over the top of
- Place uncovered Dutch oven in a preheated oven for about
- While meat is baking, gradually pour hot beef broth
over the top of the meatloaf; brush occasionally with pan drippings.
- When done remove meat to a preheated platter and keep it warm.
- Add 1/4 cup of hot water to pan and scrape all particles from the
- Bring to a gentle boil and add cornstarch that has been mixed
with 1/4 cup water.
- Cook until bubbly and thick.
- Remove from heat and
stir in sour cream.
- Reheat to warm.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve the sauce separately.