Jager-eintopf (Hunter's Stew)
- 1 1/2 c Onions; Minced
- 1/4 lb. Mushrooms; Sliced
- 2 T Vegetable
- 1 lb. Ground Beef; Coarse Grind *
- 1 c Beef Broth
- 5/8 t
- 1/2 t Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 t Salt
- 1/2 t Pepper
- 3 Potatoes; Medium
- 3 T Butter
- 2 Eggs; Large
- 4 Apples; Tart
- 1/2 c Bread Crumbs; Fine, Dry
* Ground beef should only be ground once and be the leanest you can get.
- In a fry pan sauté onions and mushrooms in vegetable oil until soft.
Add ground beef; sauté mixture 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth; bring to a
simmer. Add 1/2 t nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t
- Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water until
tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and put through a food mill or grinder.
- Beat in 2 T butter, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper. Adjust seasonings to
taste. Beat in eggs and remaining nutmeg.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Layer mixtures in a 1 1/2-quart buttered baking dish.
- Spread 1/3
of potatoes on bottom of dish. Top with 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/2
of the apples.
- Continue with layers, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, and dot with remaining
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 45 minutes and then at 400 degrees F.
for 10 minutes more.