Zwei-bohnenensuppe (Two Bean Soup)
- 1 1/4 c White Beans; Dry
- 4 oz. Ham; Cubed
- 1 c Cut Green Beans
(fresh or frozen, not canned)
- 1/4 c Celery; Diced
- 1 Green Onion; Diced
- 1 Onion;
- 1 Potato; Peeled & Diced
- 1 T Butter
- 2 T
- 3/4 c Beef Broth
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/4 t Pepper
- 1 Parsley Sprig (for garnish)
white beans with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain and place
beans in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add ham and enough cold water to cover
beans by 1 inch.
- Bring water to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour or
until beans are tender.
- Add green beans, celery, onion and
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables; simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a fry pan melt butter and stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring until
- Remove from heat and stir in heat beef broth. Cook
mixture until smooth.
- Stir mixture into the soup and simmer
until soup is thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.