Flaky Pie Crust
This recipe will yield 3 flaky pie crusts.
- 3 c Unbleached Flour
- 1 t Salt
- 1 1/3 c Vegetable Shortening; OR
1 cup Lard
- 1 large Egg
- 1 T Vinegar
- 5 T Cold Water
- Cut the shortening into the flour and salt.
- Beat the egg, vinegar and
- Add 1 T of the water mixture over part of the flour
- Gently toss with a fork.
- Push to one side of the bowl.
- Sprinkle the next T of the water mixture onto the dry part, toss
lightly, and push to the side of the bowl.
- Repeat until all of the water
mixture is gone and all of the flour mixture is moistened.
- Gather with your fingers and form into a ball.
- Divide into three equal
- Form each into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Roll to a 1/8-inch
thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- If the edges split, push
them together to seal.
- Always roll from the center to the edge, using
NOTE For a pre-baked piecrust, prick the crust
with a fork and bake in a preheated 450 Degree F. oven for 10 minutes or
until lightly browned.
From The Best Of Friends--Dependable
Recipes From The Food Labs Of Emily Griffith Opportunity School As
Quoted In The Spotlight Food Section Of The Rocky Mountain News 07-10-94