Mediterranean Chicken Stew
- vegetable cooking spray
- 2 whole bone-in chicken breasts, 2 pounds (960 g) total, skinned and
cut into quarters
- 2 medium onions, 12 ounces (360 g) total, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, 6 ounces (180 g) seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground ginger
- 2 pounds (960 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 14 1/2-ounce (435 g) can no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) golden raisins
- 2 cups (480 ml) fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth
- Lightly spray a covered nonstick pot with cooking spray.
- Add the
chicken and brown over high heat for 2 minutes, turning chicken once.
- Lower the heat and transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except the reserved chicken
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes,
until the chicken is barely falling off the bones.
- Divide the sweet potatoes and chicken between 4 shallow soup plates.
- Raise the heat under the pot and reduce the sauce for 2 minutes,
- Pour some of the mixture over each serving; serve
Recipe serves 4.
Per serving: 429 calories (10% calories from fat), 39 g protein, 5 g
total fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 58 g carbohydrate, 8 g dietary fiber,
90 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch), 3 vegetable.