Wednesday, April 25, 2007Pot-Roasted Ducks or Goose Recipe
Pot-Roasted Ducks or Goose
4-6 ducks or 1-2 geese
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil for browning
4 large white onions, divided
4 apples, divided
4 large bell peppers, divided
1/2 lb. andouille sausage
1 bunch celery
4 (14-oz.) cans chicken broth
1 tbl. Kitchen Bouquet
1 cup white wine (optional)
1. Salt and pepper birds inside and out.
2. Put oil in black iron pot that has a lid and heat to medium-high. Brown birds to a golden brown and then remove from pot. Pour out excess oil, but leave the drippings in pot.
3. Cut about 1 onion, 1 apple and 1 bell pepper and all of the andouille sausage in large chunks and fill the cavities of the birds. Finely chop the remaining onion, apple and bell pepper and all of the celery and set aside.
4. Pour the chicken broth, Kitchen Bouquet and white wine, if desired, into the pot. Place the stuffed ducks or geese in the liquid and smother with the reserved vegetables.
5. Cover pot and raise heat until liquid in pot begins to boil up through the chopped vegetables. Turn to simmer and cook, covered, for 4-5 hours on very low heat. When cooked, the meat will be juicy, tender and falling off the bone. Depending on the size of the birds, you may need to de-bone the meat in order to have room on the plate for wild pecan rice and vegetables. Bon appétit!
This recipe for Pot-Roasted Ducks or Goose was sent to us by Johnny, thanks!