El Torito's Mexican Caesar Salad
Cilantro Pepita Dressing:
- 2 medium Anaheim
chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1/3 cup roasted pepitas (pumpkin
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 oz. salad oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 Tbs.
grated Cotija cheese (see note)
- 2 small bunches cilantro, stemmed
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large (or two small)
heads romaine lettuce, rinsed and spun dry
- 1/3 cup finely grated
- Roasted red bell pepper, peeled and cut into julienne
- 1/2 cup pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
- Dressing: Place all dressing ingredients except
cilantro, mayonnaise and water in a a blender of food processor.
Blend approximately 10 seconds, then add cilantro little by little
until blended smooth. Depending on size of blender, it may be necessary
to do in batches.
- Place mayonnaise and water in a large
stainless steel bowl, and mix with a wire whip until smooth. Add the
blended ingredients to the mayonnaise mixture, and mix thoroughly.
Place in an air-tight container and refrigerate. Will keep for three
- Recipe yields 1 quart of dressing.
assemble salad: Cut corn tortillas into matchstick-size strips.
Heat oil in sauté pan; fry tortilla strips until crisp. Remove with
slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
romaine into bite-size pieces. Place greens on salad plates and ladle
approximately 2 ounces of cilantro pepita dressing on each salad.
Sprinkle each dish with Cotija cheese and tortilla strips. Arrange
four red pepper strips like spokes on the top of each salad, and garnish
with whole pepitas.
- Note: Cotija cheese is a hard cheese,
similar to Parmesan. It is available at some grocery stores and most
- Pepitas are actually pumpkin seeds.
recipe is courtesy of Helen, and is a close clone recipe
Close Clone Recipes