Almond Joy Bars
- 4 c (8 1/2-oz) shredded coconut
- 1/4 c Light corn syrup
- 1 pack
(11 1/2-oz) milk chocolate pieces
- 1/4 c Vegetable shortening
Whole natural almonds (1-oz)
- Line two large cookie sheets with waxed paper.
- Set large wire
cooling rack on paper; set aside.
- Place coconut in large bowl;
- Place corn syrup in a 1-cup glass measure. Microwave
on high (100%) 1 minute or until syrup boils. Immediately pour over
- Work warm syrup into coconut using the back of a wooden
spoon until coconut is thoroughly coated. This takes a little time, and
yes, there is enough syrup.
- Using 1 level measuring tablespoon
of coconut, shape into a ball by squeezing coconut firmly in palm of one
hand, then rolling between both palms.
- HINT: Measure out all of the
coconut then roll into balls.)
- Place 2 inches apart on wire
racks. Let dry 10 minutes. Reroll coconut balls so there are no loose
ends of coconut sticking up.
- Place milk chocolate and shortening
in a 4-cup glass measure or 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave
on high 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture can be stirred smooth and is
glossy; stirring once or twice.
- Working quickly, spoon 1 level
measuring tablespoon of the chocolate over each coconut ball, making
sure chocolate coats and letting excess chocolate drip down onto waxed
- While chocolate coating is still soft, lightly press
whole almond on top of each.
- Let stand to set or place in
refrigerator. Store in a single layer in airtight container. Keeps best
Recipe makes 26 bars, and is courtesy of Helen.
Close Clone Recipes