Holiday Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/4 cups flour, unbleached
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1 can (16-oz.) pumpkin2/3 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon
cloves or allspice, ground
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In medium
mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in
shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp. water
over part of the mixture; gently push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat,
using remaining water, 1 tbsp. at a time, until dough is moistened.
- Form dough
into ball. On lightly floured surface, flatten ball of dough with hands. Roll
dough from center to edges forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Ease pastry into 9-inch pie plate, being careful not to stretch the
pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold extra
pastry under the edge. Do not prick pastry.
- Bake with Pie Filling (recipe follows).
- In large mixing bowl, stir together pumpkin,
sugar and spices. Add egg whites to mixture until combined. Stir in milk and
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pie crust. Cover edge of crust with aluminum
foil. Place pastry-lined pie plate on oven rack.
- Bake 25 minutes.
foil. Bake additional 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes
out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Cover and store pie in refrigerator.
Used with permission from C&H Sugar.
More Christmas Pie recipes