Fleur De Sel Caramels
- 1 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup
corn syrup, light
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel
(see Quick Tip)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 oz.) chocolate
- Line 8x8-inch baking pan with
parchment paper long enough to hang over edges. Butter parchment well.
sugar and cream in saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring
constantly to prevent burning. Add corn syrup and continue cooking until mixture
reaches 230°F on candy thermometer (thread stage).
- Add butter and stir carefully
to combine. Continue cooking mixture until it reaches 245°F (soft ball stage).
Remove from heat. Stir in salt (fleur de sel) and vanilla.
- Pour mixture
into pan to cool and harden. Remove caramel block from pan and cut into
rectangles, about 2 inches x 1/2 inch each, using sharp, well-oiled knife.
Sprinkle a few grains of fleur de sel on top of caramels before wrapping.
- To Cover in Chocolate: Melt 12 oz. (2 cups) of chocolate chips. Dip caramels
in chocolate and place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets to set. Sprinkle a
few grains of fleur de sel before chocolate is completely set.
Tip(S)Fleur de sel is the top layer of salt harvested from the sea. It’s
available in specialty food shops and online.
YIELDS 64 pieces.
Used with permission from C&H Sugar.
More Christmas candy recipes