Pecan Caramel Clusters
- 1 c Cream; Light
- 1 c Sugar
- 1/2 c Light Corn Syrup; Karo
- 3 tb Butter Or Regular Margarine
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 c Pecans; Chopped
- 6 oz. Chocolate Chips; Semi-Sweet
- Heat the light cream in a heavy 2-quart saucepan to lukewarm (110
degrees F.). Reserve 1/2 c cream and set it aside.
- Add the
sugar, corn syrup and salt to the remaining 1/2 cup of cream in the
saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture
boils. Slowly stir in the reserved cream. Cook, stirring
constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, 1 tsp. at a time,
stirring constantly. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly,
until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage, (234 Degrees F.) on the
candy thermometer. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Arrange the pecans on a waxed-paper lined baking sheet. Drop the mixture
by teaspoonful's onto the pecans. As the clusters cool, remove
with a metal spatula to another waxed-paper lined baking sheet.
- Push the remaining pecans together and repeat until all of the candy
mixture is used. If the mixture becomes too thick, heat over low heat.
- Melt the chocolate chips over hot water and stir until smooth.
Spread on the top of each pecan cluster. Let stand until the
chocolate is set and store the candies in a cool place.
yields about 4 dozen.