Basic Chicken Soup
- 1 large chicken
- 1-2 cups medium egg noodles (optional)
small carrots, peeled, cut in half long and across into 1" pieces
small onions, cut into small dice
- 2 celery stalks, cut in half long
and across into 1" pieces
- 1 medium leek, white only, dice
small parsnip, peeled, large dice
- 1 small turnip, peeled, large dice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, smashed
- Stems only from 1 bunch parsley,
washed, tied with string
- 1/2 cup loosely packed dill, chopped
- In tall, narrow stockpot, bring chicken and
water to boil. Skim foam. Lower heat, simmer about 30 minutes. Remove chicken with slotted spoon, cool slightly. Remove and discard
- Remove meat, tear into bite-sized pieces and refrigerate
for use in soup or a later salad. Return bones to pot. Simmer
for 3 1/2 hours, partially covered. Skim occasionally to remove
impurities and fat.
- Strain through fine-mesh sieve, discard bones.
about 8 cups. Can be frozen at this point.
- If using noodles, boil 3 liters water in a saucepan. Season
lightly with salt.
- Add noodles, cook until tender according to package
directions. Drain and reserve.
- In stockpot or Dutch oven,
combine the previously made stock with the vegetables and herbs, except
- Bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots and
turnips are tender.
- Remove parsley stems.
- Stir in salt, dill,
cooked noodles (if using) and the reserved chicken if using.
- Serve hot.